Re: No Quorum
From: David Heimann (heimanntheworld.com)
Date: Sat, 22 Jun 2019 08:52:33 -0700 (PDT)

Hi Sharon and everyone,

We (JP Cohousing) as a rule have quorum for our general meetings (attending general meetings is one element of our three-fold work requirement, the other two being active on at least one committee and putting in (four) hours of work a month. While people can grant a proxy not to come to a meeting but to count towards quorum, thus indicating that they will go along with the decisions made, this rarely happens.

As far consensus goes we don't need unanimous agreement to consense; it's a majority of thumbs-up (approval) and no thumbs-down (block). So with 30 people at a meeting we don't need 30 approvals, just 16 or more approvals and no blocks. A thumbs-sideways (stand aside) would not block a proposal unless there were 50% or more of them, which hasn't yet happened in our existence.

Also, in order for a decision to be made it has to be announced in the meeting notice that this will come up, so people will tend to attend such a meeting (though as I've said we routinely get quorum anyway).

Regards,
David Heimann
Jamaica Plain Cohousing