On child proofing the CH with locks on drawer and cupboards
From: Sharon Villines (sharonsharonvillines.com)
Date: Wed, 26 Jun 2019 08:00:42 -0700 (PDT)
One of the things I do in my community that drives them nuts is writing emails
looking at issues in a broader context than I object, though I do that too. I
don’t remember discussing this issue here before so I thought this one on
child-proofing the CH might be useful and even enlightening. Even if I say so
myself.

This one addresses the problems that child-proof locks create for adults and
how they are counter productive for children. And make life less fun for
everyone.

 Edited for clarity.

A reminder that we had a long discussion about safety locks a few years ago and
ended in the position that drawer and door locks would not be replaced without
further conversations about where they are actually needed and where they are a
needless inconvenience.

Someone has replaced the ones on the drawers in the beverage bar and I'm about
to take a hammer to them. Please stop doing this until we have a discussion
about where they are really necessary and where they are just a nuisance.

I can’t open the locks with one hand and when I need to get one open, I am
usually carrying things. I have to use both hands. This is frustrating when I’m
 decluttering the CH and putting things away. I can’t just open a drawer or
cupboard.

The only places where there are dangerous things is in the kitchen — knife
drawer and under sink cleaners. Children are not stupid. They learn very
quickly what is okay and what isn’t. They don’t need locks to tell them.

Like my tear-up-a-puzzle theory, each child will do it once. They will get into
the markers, for example, once. They stop when they see how upset the adults
are. We shouldn’t have waterproof markers in the CH (allergic reactions) and
washable ones can easily be cleaned or painted over.

I would much rather that a child learn to think twice about whether they should
or should not do something based on substance not possibility. Locks everywhere
teaches children that if it isn’t locked up, it’s free for the doing. Then the
locks have to be used everywhere because their absence gives permission.

And child-proof locks deprive kids of one of the few adventures left to them.
Dumping tea on the floor is fun and hurts no one. Markers on the wall is a bit
more bothersome but is it a catastrophe? Certainly doesn’t hurt the child.
Until we have a serial tea dumper or a frenetic marker artist amongst us, I
can’t imagine why we are worrying about it. (I pledge to clean up any of these
messes anytime.)

We used to worry that kids would figure out how to go to the basement and
discussed a lock or key or something to protect them from whatever might be
down there. Then one day the gang of 3-year-olds did go to the basement. They
were proud of being so brave but also a little frightened — they couldn’t find
the light switches —  and never went again.

In almost 20 years, only one trip to the basement by unaccompanied children.
Can you imagine how inconvenient it would be to lock up the elevator?

If we had a special needs child or adult, then the argument changes. But we
don’t.

(There are also locks available that can be used during parties when
non-resident children are on the loose that can be used just for special
events.)

Sharon
----
Sharon Villines