Chaos in Oregon
From: Sharon Villines (sharonsharonvillines.com)
Date: Wed, 3 Jul 2019 10:19:41 -0700 (PDT)
From Strong Towns.

The state of Oregon is about to descend into chaos.

> Where the rule of law once reigned, their government has made the shocking
> choice to throw the rulebook out the window and let loose the forces of
> anarchy.
>
> That's right: Oregon is...about to allow their citizens to build duplexes!
>
> (We know: you probably just fainted from the horror. Take all the time you
> need to recover, and then come back to this email.)
>
> In all seriousness: we're pretty excited that the Beaver State is getting so
> close to passing a bill that will allow their cities to grow financially
> strong and resilient. But we still have one big question: how on earth did
> this legislation come to seem so radical, when the kind of incremental
> development this policy allows is exactly how we built strong places for
> thousands of years?
>
> Today, my colleague Daniel explores exactly that question. And if your state
> isn't talking about following OR's lead, you'll want to give it a read—and
> consider joining the movement that will make moves like this possible in
> every community in North America.

The article mentioned by Daniel Herriges, "Making Normal Neighborhoods Legal
Again”
http://bit.ly/2YuVn4b

This reminds me of neighborhoods in Albany NY with rows of “two family houses”
in which 1 in every block or two had a bar. Irish neighborhood. The bars
weren’t marked and weren’t interested in growth. They were neighborhood pubs. I
was never in one but I assume  the pub took the two parlors or the first floor.

Sharon
----
Sharon Villines
Takoma Village Cohousing, Washington DC