Re: HOA Dues Increase
From: Jerry Koch-Gonzalez (jerrysociocracyforall.org)
Date: Thu, 4 Jul 2019 23:45:12 -0700 (PDT)
If yoiu have never had a condo fee increase I am either very happy or very
sad for you.
I assume first of all that in all these 11 years you have for the most part
not overspent your budget. Great. But my next question is: have you
adequately funded your replacement reserves? If not, you could be in for a
big shock - a special assessment or a steep hike in your condo fees.
Adequate funding of your replacement reserves is probably a legal
requirement in California, and there are definitions of what adequate means.
Our condo fees are based on a formula - part on just presence and part on
the size of the units. And we have an automatic condo fee increase. So we
need consent to lower the amount of increase rather than the other way
around. Saves a lot of argument.

Jerry Koch-Gonzalez
Founding Resident, Pioneer Valley Cohousing Community
<http://cohousing.com/>