HOA Dues Increase & Reserves
From: Sharon Villines (sharonsharonvillines.com)
Date: Fri, 5 Jul 2019 13:05:44 -0700 (PDT)
This is a link to the California Reserve Study Guide which is very well written
and explains the what and why of reserve studies.

http://www.dre.ca.gov/files/pdf/re25.pdf

I have not a clue why they don’t recommend a minimum funding. I suspect because
they think then everyone would do the minimum and no more. But if you have a
study, at least you know how far behind you are.

The Association Reserves website that does studies in many states has a variety
of publications plus a DYI reserve study program. They also have a sample study
online.

https://www.reservestudy.com/resources/

They assess the risk of having a special assessment at 51% there is no reserve
fund. If 40% funded, 10% risk, and 80% funded, -1% risk. 70-100% funded is
strong.

The study establishes a base for the projected costs of replacing everything
you own for the next 30-50 years, so this means 70-100% of the total projected
cost. If you are not adequately funded, that will affect property values as
well. People moving in will have to make up the deficit so the condo is worth
less.

Association Reserves also notes that when funds go below 40%, regular
maintenance tends to be seriously deferred, costing more later.

Sharon
----
Sharon Villines
Takoma Village Cohousing, Washington DC