Re: HOA Dues Increase & Reserves
From: R Philip Dowds (rphilipdowdsme.com)
Date: Sat, 6 Jul 2019 02:29:52 -0700 (PDT)
Sorry. but I’m not sure I’m persuaded that the typical homebuyer is especially
interested in, or capable of analyzing, reserve funding.  Nor do I have reason
to suspect that the average buyer of a cohousing unit is more sophisticated
than the average buyer of an ordinary condo, or a single family home.  I do
believe that if a property looks “shabby” (e.g., an obviously superannuated
roof, or peeling paint job), it will command less resale value than if it looks
spiffy and “well maintained”.  Purchasers of “shabby" properties will probably
exercise greater financial scrutiny or caution than they would for a property
that “looks good”.

None of this, however, is directly related to saving ahead for major capital
replacement projects.  Consider the ever-popular single family home and its
owner.  A minority of American households has the financial flexibility AND the
financial management skills to save ahead for the new roof and the next paint
job.  But to pay for these big hits, many others must rely on either (a)
re-financing the first mortgage, or (b) supplemental borrowing (e.g., the home
equity loan, which is the modern euphemism for the previously much-stigmatized
“second mortgage”).  Absent these versions of the “special assessment”,
households often learn to live with the disappointments of deferred
maintenance.  Foreclosures and forced sales sometimes fall upon households that
simply never factored in the correct costs of operations and maintenance over
time.  (Good lenders will set limits that help keep novice borrowers from
getting in over their heads …)

So what’s different for cohousing?  Organized as condos or HOAs, the avenues of
special assessment and bank borrowing are often blockaded by internal politics
and/or reluctant  lenders,  But saving ahead can be unpopular because it
implies, to some, that the occupants of today are subsidizing the occupants of
tomorrow.  In general, despite its incredible technical aptitudes, the human
species is not so hot at making, and adhering to, plans for fifty years ahead.
(Which is why our civil infrastructure crumbles away.)

None of which is to say, Don’t bother with a “reserve plan”.  Just recognize
that the classical “fully funded” reserve plan — one that anticipates total
replacement of a physically and functionally obsolete structure after five
decades plus or minus — is stunningly costly.  Partial plans focussing on the
next ten or twenty years, and offering a funding strategy that covers just the
“major” or critical systems, can look and feel more realistic. even to the
solvent and future-oriented.

Thanks,
Philip Dowds
Cornerstone Village Cohousing