Re: HOA Dues Increase
From: Diana Carroll (dianaecarrollgmail.com)
Date: Fri, 5 Jul 2019 06:44:25 -0700 (PDT)
What Sharon said is exactly how it goes at Mosaic Commons.

We have one additional thing, though: for complex historical reasons, we
have two budgets.

One is for typical condo fees and covers required it’s such as plowing,
insurance, electricity, site maintenance, contribution to our reserves (per
a professionally-created reserve plan) and so on. There’s not much room for
debate here: these things cost what they cost. The portion of the budget
each household pays is based on percentage interest, which in turn is based
loosely on home size. This is all just like Sharon said about Takoma.

The other is our so-called “cohousing” budget. This covers expenses related
to community that wouldn’t be part of a typical condo budget. Things like
furnishings for the common house, fitness room and kitchen (and a small
reserve fund for replacing those), social events/parties, workshops,
community gardens, and so on. This is much more fungible than the condo
budget — if we can’t afford/don’t want to afford a new couch, we can choose
not to buy one.

The “cohousing” budget is not covered by a specific percentage. Instead
households make voluntary pledges, and if those don’t add up to fully fund
the budget, we re-examine the budget and figure out what to cut.

Diana