Re: HOA dues increase
From: Jessie Kome (jehakome.com)
Date: Mon, 8 Jul 2019 04:49:34 -0700 (PDT)
Hi-

Here at Eastern Village Cohousing (EVC), we are facing the likelihood of two
consecutive years with a possibly sizable condo fee increase. The increase for
2021 was determined a couple years ago as part of an overall plan to more fully
fund our reserves. When I understood from the board treasurer that an increase
for 2020 was probably going to be needed to cover expected operating costs, I
knew we needed a broader discussion within the community (55 units, with about
10 of them originally moderately priced dwelling units under a county program-
so we have a very wide income range among households here).

EVC calls its community meeting the Membership Circle, and I am this year’s MC
coordinator, which means I am both on the board of directors and help set the
MC agendas. (I am sharing the job with another member.) Starting 6 months
before the usual formal start of our budget process, I informed the MC of the
potential for the 2020 increase. We set up a series of “salons” (discussion
meetings at which decisions are not allowed) organized by a team of 3
facilitators to try to surface feelings, thoughts, and ideas around our
finances. One of the facilitators also interviewed a non-random sample of
community members individually, to dig deeper about stresses and values.

The results of the discussions and interviews revealed broad agreement around
being responsible and somewhat conservative with our reserve choices, and also
issues to explore further in the MC, the main issue being a very wide range of
opinion around the goodness of reducing the size of any fee increase by
increasing the chores we do ourselves. I think the organized salons and
interviews had the interesting side effect of generating informal discussions
about money throughout EVC, and flavoring MC consideration of seemingly
unrelated topics as well.

Starting with our July meeting, the budget’s formal agenda arc begins. I am
hoping for a three meeting/month arc, but not holding my breath. With the
groundwork we did, I feel confident we will make a thoughtful decision that
will strengthen community.

Jessie Handforth Kome
Eastern Village Cohousing
Silver Spring, MD USA
“Where the average time for responding to “cup of sugar” requests on the EVC
community list averages about 15 minutes.”