Re: Policy Committee & Condo law and Cohousing?
From: Alan O'Hashi (adoecosyahoo.com)
Date: Tue, 16 Jul 2019 04:50:02 -0700 (PDT)
 Annie, Phil, et al. - At my place we're updating our declarations and bylaws
by cohousing-izing them, but compliant with state HOA laws. In a nutshell, we
have a governing board as required by law called the steering team (ST). We
have basically emasculated the ST into a body that coordinates and implements
the actions of the community at large.

The ST consists of a representative of the standing operational teams that deal
with the common house, parties, gardens, buildings, finances who each are
approved by the community. Action items originate from the community that
directs the ST to figure out the details and bring back the final products for
three readings. The community approves the actions and the ST reaffirms
community decisions. Nothing comes from the ST to the community without first
originating in a standing team or from the community at large.

The Colorado state law - as does all the other states - talks a lot about
voting and majorities and super majorities, etc. We took out all references to
voting and changed those to decisions and make reference to our decision making
community agreements, which are around consensus.

There are MANY subtleties around insurance, disclosures, conflicts of interest,
how dues are determined, the super majorities and other esoteria, that I won't
go into here. We've spent quite a bit of time - two years - and money -
thousands - going through this with an HOA lawyer who also is comfortable with
our work. This isn't typical intellectual property and as such, we're trying to
figure out how to let others have access to the documents.

Thx,

Alan O

PS - if all HOAs operated like a cohousing HOA, there would be no need for all
the state requirements around how to get rid of deadbeat HOA board members and
their criminal behaviors!

PS2 - to Fred, I resent this because the first time, I forgot to delete the
thread 'tail.'

Alan O'Hashi - ECOS
EnviroCultural Organization Systems
 http://www.alanohashi.com/ecos