Re: Policy Committee & Condo law and Cohousing?
From: R Philip Dowds (rphilipdowdsme.com)
Date: Tue, 16 Jul 2019 06:11:23 -0700 (PDT)
Alan —

Sounds like you’re following the same path as Cornerstone.  I am not a lawyer,
and not qualified to provide legal advice to anyone — especially not in states
other than Massachusetts.  Even so, I’ll remark that, in my view, most condo /
HOA enabling legislation is dedicated to balancing the inviolable rights of
property owners with the rights, m needs and common interests of the community
association as a whole.  For the latter, the buck must stop (or appear to stop)
somewhere; typically, this is an elected Board. But beyond that, state enabling
legislation is entirely indifferent to the essential goals of the cohousing
lifeway: empathy, reciprocity, sharing, participation and equivalence.  The
instruments of this lifeway — the consensus process, circles and teams, common
space and common meals, etc — are typically of no interest to state regulators,
lenders, insurance agents, and so on.  So long as the docs show adequate
property and privacy protections, and a Board capable of enforcing them.

Like I said: I’m not an attorney.

Thanks,
RPD