Cohousing's Wide Reach
From: Ann Zabaldo (zabaldoearthlink.net)
Date: Fri, 26 Jul 2019 08:41:43 -0700 (PDT)
Hello all —

Here is a link to an article about a development in Falls Church, VA known as
the Railroad Cottages.  It’s a “Pocket Neighborhood” — a type of development
popularized by Ross Chapin.  In fact, in his book POCKET NEIGHBORHOODS, Chapin
has a whole section on cohousing because cohousing fits his pocket neighborhood
criteria of small, clustered development w/ common grounds.

In this article you will find many, many cohousing elements because as above,
cohousing fits the pocket neighborhood definition but also because the
architect for this development is Jack Wilbern of Butz-Wilbern Architects.
Jack lives at Blueberry Hill Cohousing in Vienna, VA.  He was the person who
put together the financing package for BBH when it was struggling to get off
the group.

The Railroad Cottages are gorgeous.  I wish there were more photos of the
development.  And I wish there were better photos of the interior of the home
the article showcases. AND there is sticker shock  the  almost 1500s/f homes
sell for $750,000-800,000.  In the hot real estate market like Falls Church, VA
this seems “normal” (cough-cough).  Unlike most people posting in the COMMENTS
section I didn’t immediately choke on the price as one of our homes at TVC
recently sold for $640,000.  So much for affordability.

Enjoy the article.  Love to hear your feedback on the COMMENTS as well.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/realestate/making-the-case-for-cottage-neighborhoods/2019/07/24/8817f43a-7bde-11e9-8bb7-0fc796cf2ec0_story.html?utm_term=.787f2804b1c3

Best --

Ann Zabaldo
Takoma Village Cohousing
Washington, DC
Member, Board of Directors
Mid Atlantic Cohousing
Principal, Cohousing Collaborative, LLC
Falls Church, VA
202.546.4654

I’m …

 “it’s 8:30 pm and you want to start a movie this late?”

… Years Old.

(From a series of DIY embroidery quotes by The Twilight Sewn)