Do any communities defer dues?
From: Alan O'Hashi (adoecosyahoo.com)
Date: Sun, 4 Aug 2019 04:44:38 -0700 (PDT)
Sunny - Deferring dues and assessments until sale, I suppose is possible. The
problem I see with it, is keeping your doors open. HOA dues and assessments are
for the day-to-day upkeep and short and long term maintenance of the property
and if you let too many people do that, everyone else will have to pick up
their slack for 20 or 30 years, potentially.

At my place, failure to pay dues and assessments is viewed as a not-so-good
thing to the extent that it is possible for a member to lose voting rights and
a lien placed on their property.

I know cohousers are supposed to be empathetic and compassionate to other's
plights and keep the "we're all in this together" spirit, but cohousers are
also running the huge business of a community association.

There are some communities that have set up a "Community Chest" funded as a
part of the general HOA dues. Everyone chips in something with the idea that
the money can be used for households that may need a "hand up" for maybe
medical bills, or paying dues because of a job loss, etc.

If you do decide to allow people to generally defer, there should be some means
to encourage them to pay up front, like, compounded interest, and personal
guarantees, etc.

Thx
Alan O.

Alan O'Hashi - ECOS
EnviroCultural Organization Systems
 http://www.alanohashi.com/ecos
Colorado 303-910-5782
Wyoming 307-274-1910
Nebraska 402-327-1652

    On Sunday, August 4, 2019, 04:16:22 AM MDT, <cohousing-l-request [at]