Re: Workshop Policies and Procedures
From: Pat Looney-Burman (burloonfresnocohousing.org)
Date: Mon, 5 Aug 2019 10:16:58 -0700 (PDT)
At La Querencia, aka Fresno Cohousing we have a shop that is mostly equipped
for woodworking:  table saw, planer, jointer, router table, bandsaw and drill
press. To address safety, we have taken two measures.  All the more “dangerous
“ power tools (table saw, planer, jointer, and bandsaw) run on a 220v dedicated
circuit which can only be activated with a key operated switch. Only those
members who have been checked out for safe operation of these machines are
given a key to that switch. This allows less skilled residents to use the
workshop without having access to the “dangerous “ equipment.

The table saw is also a safety conscious item; it is a SawStop brand. That’s
have a sensor built in that, when it detects contact between the blade and
human flesh instantly stops the blade preventing serious injury. It is
amazingly effective. I personally have had a couple of close calls which
probably would have taken off a finger have only resulted in a minor scratch.
Google “sawstop” and see it in action.

George Burman
La Querencia Cohousing

Sent from my iPhone