Re: Resale Donation Logistics
From: Ann Zabaldo (zabaldoearthlink.net)
Date: Mon, 5 Aug 2019 11:03:40 -0700 (PDT)
Hey Morgan!

How good to hear from you!

Now I dying to know about your resale program at Vashon!  Are you the first to
make this tribute?

Generous of you to acknowledge your community w/ a gift upon the sale of your
home.  And you are staying in your community!  Vashon is twice blessed.

At Takoma Village there is no tax implications to the HoA for receiving a
monetary donation.  We are a non-profit under the District of Columbia’s CONDO
law not under Federal law which is how many people think of non profits — you
know like environmental groups, organizations that help the homeless, etc.
Now, I don’t know if there is a tax deduction that the seller can take for the
donation.  My guess is this is all going to depend on your state’s rules and
regulations regarding condominiums or Homeowners Associations.  At Vashon, do
you have a Legal or Finance team that could handle the question for you?  Or a
lawyer who advises your community?  Or you can do the tedious work of finding
the answer in your condo act.  Ah.  There’s one other way.  If your community
has a membership in the Community Association Institute — CAI — you can ask a
question to your chapter organization’s lawyer.  (I totally recommend joining
this organization:  https://www.caionline.org/pages/default.aspx
<https://www.caionline.org/pages/default.aspx>)

The donations to TVC are handled after settlement.  The donors just write a
check made out to the HoA.  But there’s no reason the settlement agent can’t do
it as part of the closing.  Save you writing a check …

Let us know how this all works out for you and your community, Morgan.  I’m so
happy to hear that other communities are adopting this resale process that
acknowledges the interests of the seller, the buyer and the community.  The
community plays a big role in the sale of units at TVC.  Bet it does at Vashon,
too!

Best --

Ann Zabaldo
Takoma Village Cohousing
Washington, DC
Member, Board of Directors
Mid Atlantic Cohousing
Principal, Cohousing Collaborative, LLC
Falls Church, VA
202.546.4654

I’m …

 “it’s 8:30 pm and you want to start a movie this late?”

… Years Old.

(From a series of DIY embroidery quotes by The Twilight Sewn)