Re: Do any communities defer dues?
From: Kathryn McCamant (kmccamantcohousing-solutions.com)
Date: Tue, 6 Aug 2019 09:24:48 -0700 (PDT)
 I love the "Brother can you spare a dime" Fund.  It really shows the
compassion I hope communities can developer for people in need or times of
stress.

Katie
--
Kathryn McCamant, President
CoHousing Solutions

On 8/6/19, 8:51 AM, "Cohousing-L on behalf of fergyb2 via Cohousing-L"
<cohousing-l-bounces+kmccamant=cohousing-solutions.com [at] cohousing.org on
behalf of cohousing-l [at] cohousing.org> wrote:

     At Swans Market we established a “Brother can you spare a dime” fund
during the 2008 financial meltdown when we worried about what might happen if
someone couldn’t pay their HOA fees.  There wasn’t much appetite for the
traditional remedy of fines and liens on property.  Each household contributed
an extra $10 a month for about a year to establish it.  The fund is
administered by the treasurer and it’s available to make interest free loans to
households who have a temporary cash flow problem (usually due to job loss or
illness) to cover HOA fees.  It’s been accessed several times over the years
and has always been repaid.  We often discuss eliminating it but so far have
always decided to keep it as is.  It seems to work well as a kind of community
insurance program.
         I would worry that outright forgiveness of HOA dues would breed
resentments within the Community over time, due to the extra financial burden
everyone else would have to carry.
            Bonnie Fergusson
           Swans Market Cohousing
           Oakland CA