Re: Policies and procedures for community workshop,
From: Mac Thomson (macthomsonme.com)
Date: Tue, 6 Aug 2019 07:49:21 -0700 (PDT)
We are a rural community with a large and well equipped workshop. Here is the
sign posted in our workshop.

WORKSHOP USE

TOOLS & MATERIALS
Almost all of the tools and materials in the workshop are privately owned.
Please get permission before using someone else's tools or materials.

Tools marked with fluorescent green paint indicate that the owner has made the
tools available for community use. Most of the community use tools are located
on the COMMUNITY workbench (with the pegboard on the south wall). Community use
tools may be borrowed (removed from workshop) for only 1 day.

Major power tools (table saw, drill press, chop saw, planer, jointer, band saw,
etc.) are available only to Guild members.

Materials on the COMMUNITY shelves in the southeast corner of the workshop are
available for anyone to use. There is also lumber available for anyone to use
on the fluorescent green bunks in the Boardroom.

STORAGE
TOOL & MATERIALS
Please store tools and materials in the workshop ONLY if they are:
•  USED ON A REGULAR BASIS
•  KEPT WELL ORGANIZED

Private tools and materials should be stored under the workbenches, on the
shelves labeled “PRIVATE” in the southwest corner of the workshop, or on
private bunks in the Boardroom. Do not store tools or materials on top of
workbenches. Please leave the tops of workbenches available for others to use.

PROJECTS
Please store projects in the workshop ONLY if they are:
•  CURRENTLY BEING WORKED ON
•  LABELED WITH OWNER'S NAME

If they fit there, projects should be stored on the PROJECTS bunks on the north
wall. Otherwise please store them as out of the way as possible so that work
space is left open for other shop users.
SAFETY
Close all workshop doors when not in use. Unplug tools and retract blades when
not in use. Children need adult supervision to be in the workshop.

WOODWORKING GUILD
Major power tools in the workshop are only available to Heartwood Woodworking
Guild members (table saw, drill press, chop saw, planer, jointer, band saw,
etc.). The Guild was created for the safe and equitable sharing of those major
power tools. It is open to anyone who has learned to safely use the Guild tools
and has paid their Buy-In Fee and Annual Fee.

The Guild Buy-In Fee is roughly equal to your expected number of days using the
Guild tools per year times $25. So if you expect to use the Guild tools once
per month, that would be 12 times per year times $25 equals a $300 Buy-In Fee.
If you pay a Buy-In Fee of $1000 or more, your Annual Fees are waived for life.
Annual Fees are currently set at $60 per year, due by April 30.

Fees are paid on a per household basis, but everyone in the household wanting
to be in the Guild must complete tool safety training.

Please contact a current Guild member if you're interested in joining. Current
Guild members are Mac, Ronda & Jack, Patrick, Dick, Scott F, and Scott K.

COST
Non-commercial use of the workshop by members is free. Commercial use of the
workshop by members doing work for members is also free. Commercial use of the
workshop by members doing work for non-members costs $2 per hour. Commercial
use of the workshop by non-members doing work for non-members costs from $2 -
$5 per hour. See our Private Use of Community Resources Compensation Guidelines
for complete details. Please pay workshop use fees to the HOA bookkeeper.

OTHER
Thoroughly clean up after yourself.

Reset heaters to 45º when workshop is not in use.

Enjoy!

--
Mac Thomson

Heartwood Cohousing
Southwest Colorado
http://www.heartwoodcohousing.com

"Discussion is an exchange of knowledge;
  argument is an exchange of ignorance."
                      - Robert Quillen