Senior only vs intergenerational community living
From: Fred H Olson (fholsoncohousing.org)
Date: Thu, 15 Aug 2019 07:07:05 -0700 (PDT)
Minnesota Public Radio just had a segment on
"Developers see plenty of growth in senior housing market"
https://www.mprnews.org/story/2019/08/15/developers-see-plenty-of-growth-in-senior-housing-market

Interestingly it opened by featuring a senior living cooperative.
They are numerous Minnesota and resemble cohousing a bit.
Senior Housing Coop directory
http://seniorcoops.org/housing-list-2/

In discussing of the segment, we noted that these are "senior only"
developments and that there are few intergenerational, senior friendly
developments which would be our preference.  It is my impression that
there are two clusters of opinion amongst seniors - those who prefer
senior only vs those who prefer intergenerational communities but I
have seen no survey data on this.

During our discussion, Grace Kim's TED talk also came up:
"How cohousing can make us happier (and live longer)"
https://www.ted.com/talks/grace_kim_how_cohousing_can_make_us_happier_and_live_longer

I wonder if a case could be made that intergenerational community
living can make us happier (and live longer).

Grace's community Capitol Hill Urban CoHousing
https://capitolhillurbancohousing.org/
is an "inter-generational urban community committed to sustainable
living on Seattle's Capitol Hill". It was featured in the TED talk tho
I don't recall Grace addressing senior only vs intergenerational
community living explicitly.

Fred Olson and Becca Brackett