Re: Senior only vs intergenerational community living
From: Sharon Villines (sharonsharonvillines.com)
Date: Sat, 24 Aug 2019 06:52:36 -0700 (PDT)
> On Aug 15, 2019, at 1:19 PM, Dave Cortright via Cohousing-L <cohousing-l [at]
> cohousing.org> wrote:

> The Harvard Grant Study found that the biggest factor in happiness and health
> is quality relationships with others. And the only way to have true quality
> connections with others is daily and face to face.

More and more research is discovering that this is not true. Our history is
with daily face-to-face (F2F)  relationships but that is our history. With
internet connectivity, the world of relationships enlarges. It increases our
ability to find people who share our dreams, illnesses, woes, and even our
sense of humor. An article appeared in Medium recently discussing the direct
messaging and groups on Facebook:

The Unexpected Health Benefits of Social Media: Those supportive DMs and niche
Facebook groups can have a positive impact on your well-being
http://tinyurl.com/y5ytkn5z

I’ve been on the internet since the mid-nineties. During that time I’ve had
many very deep relationships with people I would never have met otherwise, and
would not even have had the time to relate to F2F. Some were 4 time zones away.
Over the years many of the relationships have faded just as F2F relationships
fade — we all move on. But I have fond memories and appreciation of all those
people, most of whom I never met in person.

For example, one was several years long with a man whose wife had just left him
because he refused to get a “real job” and earn money. He had a used mystery
bookstore in the ground floor of a brownstone and loved it. He loved it
everyday — the books, his customers, the neighborhood, the schedule. Even
sleeping in the back room when necessary or convenient. We had long talks about
relationships, interests “no one” seems to share, funny things that happen in
bookstores, Now that I think of it we never talked about mystery books or
authors — there are many groups for that. We talked about our lives and
whatever was happening for each of us personally that day. What we were
thinking about.

These kinds of relationships on email are limited to people who like to write —
although text messages are pretty short and pithy. But given the ability to
reach millions more people, those who are comfortable writing are easy to find.
F2F has many limitations — language, hearing, geographic location, etc. Age
differences are more obvious and sometimes limiting. For people with various
disabilities like autism, palsy, hearing loss, etc. find online relationships
to be a god-send. For people who don’t enjoy schmoozing, it is wonderful.

Sharon
----
Sharon Villines, Washington DC

"We are confronted with insurmountable opportunities.” — Walt Kelly