Re: Writing back to NPR “1A” about cohousing
From: Lynne MARKELL (lmarkellrogers.com)
Date: Sun, 1 Sep 2019 08:54:13 -0700 (PDT)
I keep forgetting that the US has many more states than we have provinces in
Canada, so it would be hard to do, but not impossible.
I received a reply from a kind soul in Connecticut that the federal government
defines affordable housing and requires all states to create legislation that
fits federal guidelines. Then towns are required by the state to have 10% of
housing stock designated as affordable. In Connecticut, there can also be
incentives if a developer provides 30% affordable housing.

States can also provide funding to subsidize the price of affordable homes.
From the small list of cohousing with affordable homes, it looks like Colorado,
New Mexico, and Connecticut do this. California (Petaluma Avenue Homes) and
Virginia (Elder Spirit) even help with rental units.

Let me know if I am getting this right.
I am really appreciating this conversation and information.
Lynne

Lynne Markell,
Lmarkell [at] rogers.com
(613) 842-5222