Re: Events in the Common House that are open to the public.
From: Alice Alexander (aliceanne4gmail.com)
Date: Wed, 4 Sep 2019 08:01:24 -0700 (PDT)
At Durham Central Park Cohousing, we host fabulous House Concerts featuring
professional musicians. The last four have been sell outs, and we have
another this Friday that is sold out (we can seat up to 77 comfortably). We
have quite a following now of fans, and we've found our niche featuring
modern folk and Americana.

We are fortunate to have a common dining/kitchen/cafe area on the 1st floor
of our condominium building that provides excellent acoustics (not that we
designed the space for house concerts!). We encourage sharing of snacks and
drinks during intermission, and open the doors early, so part of the appeal
is building community from folks outside our walls.

We are also fortunate to have an "interest list" of almost 600, and that's
the network to which we promote. We do not otherwise advertise, but do
encourage friends inviting friends.

Because of tax implications, we request a suggestion "donation" of $20,
with all proceeds going to the musician. We records RSVP's and occasional
pre-pays, but mostly it's cash at the door, or a check made out to me,
personally (and then I write a check to the musician for that portion).

We don't have any special insurance coverage; our coverage provides for
potential mishaps suffered by guests, typical of insurance coverage.

We created these House Concerts because many of us enjoy live music, and
wanted to support musicians, but a primary reason the community supports
House Concerts is that it's an excellent way to attract potential members.
We in fact have a fairly new member of our community who first discovered
us through our House Concerts!
Alice Alexander, Durham Cohousing
www.durhamcoho.com