Re: 501(c)(7) and leases, and decision-making
From: Sharon Villines (sharonsharonvillines.com)
Date: Wed, 11 Sep 2019 06:37:24 -0700 (PDT)
> On Sep 9, 2019, at 3:35 PM, Jonathan Reichel <jbreichel [at] gmail.com> wrote:

> --The coop was registered as a 501(c)(7).  Our lease is up for renewal and
> as novices, we're trying to learn whether we can propose listing the
> corporation on the lease rather than individual members.  Does anyone know
> whether this is feasible as a 5019(c)(7), and if so, have any of you done
> it?

I’m not familiar with 5019(c)(7) corporations but landlords rent to
corporations all the time. The question is whether the corporation has a legal
structure that would guarantee the rents will be paid when 2 members go off to
hunt bears in Alaska. If the objective is to avoid personal responsibility, the
answer is probably, no.

First I would talk to the landlord.

Sharon
----