Re: State Legislative Suggestions/Models
From: RPD iCloud (rphilipdowdsme.com)
Date: Wed, 11 Sep 2019 12:28:18 -0700 (PDT)
For better or worse, housing development is mostly governed by local zoning and
subdivision law.  This local law is a function of local tradition and
geography, local community sentiment and politics, and the interactions and
ambitions of local developers and landowners.  While it’s possible to pursue
the intellectual exercise of “model legislation” as a universally useful
template, the chances of any locality saying Wow, this is just what we wanted,
aren’t particularly good.  Nor will much good come out of a state trying to
dictate development policy to the local level.

In my opinion, the best way for a progressive state government to promote
cohousing — and affordable housing generally — is to invent and maintain a
program of incentives for localities to increase allowed density (dwelling
units per acre), and to better tolerate site design flexibility strategies like
cluster zoning, PUDs, and multi-family building types.

Thanks,
Philip Dowds
Cornerstone Cohousing
Cambridge, MA