Re: State Legislative Suggestions/Models
From: Alan O'Hashi (adoecosyahoo.com)
Date: Thu, 12 Sep 2019 05:21:50 -0700 (PDT)
Annie - If you're talking to your Congressman, I suggest:

- I think grants funneled down to the states is something that can happen at
the national level. Here's my CohoUSA self serving idea. HUD provides funding
for housing demonstration projects (I know of one about continuum of care for
homeless people, for example). What if a cohousing demonstration pilot project
was funded that would provide the CohoUSA with a) planning funds to develop the
range of cohousing from "stick-built" to various retrofits; b) Congress would
appropriate (or reallocate from existing programs) say, $15,000,000 in matching
grant bucks for several demonstration projects based on the planning phase; c)
CoHoUSA would contract to be the administrator of the project, probably through
the state of Colorado through, maybe, Boulder Housing Partners (There's likely
a HUD federal funding chain that is already in place).

- From a national regulatory standpoint, HUD, the HHS and other agencies that
deal with affordable housing, incorporate a definition of cohousing and
includes cohousing within the list of housing types and configurations for all
applicable housing programs. Cohousing shouldn't have to be wedged into
definitions that have largely been used since the 1960s when LBJ founded the
"Great Society."

Thx,
Alan O