More on Groups.io
From: Sharon Villines (sharonsharonvillines.com)
Date: Thu, 19 Sep 2019 12:48:30 -0700 (PDT)
One of the things that made the change from Yahoo to Groups.io possible was
that they transferred all our lists from Yahoo.

I created a main group for all members and subgroups for each of the team and
special interest lists. Anyone on the main list can join or send a message to a
subgroup. This is helpful because each subscriber to the main list has a list
of the subgroups on their Groups.io homepage. And they can send a message to a
group without joining the group. Most frequently this is an information message
to meeting facilitators or the board.

Groups.io handled all the transfers seamlessly. I think our main list set up 2
years before we moved in was ~4,000 messages. The only possible bother was if
we combined two groups, the messages were renumbered. But the dates were still
there so  it was no problem.

At that time, it was not clear that Yahoo groups was going to survive another
transition, some groups were not working for up to a month at a time, people
from different parts of the country had different levels of service. Yahoo had
not decided to ditch groups but was providing no support. It was not clear when
they would make a decision.

I had managed a few groups on Google and found the job of the moderator to be
more onerous — requiring more click throughs to complete routine actions. All
the moderators of one large list of 3000+ members find Groups.io much easier to
moderate.

Sharon
----
Sharon Villines