Re: Posting Request-Dealing with Sensitive Issues
From: Alan O'Hashi (adoecosyahoo.com)
Date: Tue, 1 Oct 2019 05:50:07 -0700 (PDT)
Robin - If you think talking about other people's kids is sensitive, wait until
you talk about other people's money!

I'd say comportment around such topics is one of community maturation or lack
thereof. Neighbors can get really wound up and get into arguments. Speaking
first hand, I just got into one myself that resulted in a wrist-slapping.

I think the key thing is for people not to take things too personally,
particularly if there are personal attacks that arise from presentation of
hard-to-swallow facts. At the end of the day, everyone still has to continue to
work together.

The analogy I use is, that of Robin Hood. If you've ever seen any of those
movies, certain members of Robin's "band of merry men" get into these
knock-down, drag-out fights. But when it came to defeating the Sheriff of
Nottingham, they drop their fists and join in and work together to achieve
their "higher purpose."

Communities - particularly forming communities - should spend more time talking
about relationship issues than what kind of countertop finishes to pick.

There's also the gravity of evil test. What becomes contentious to one person
may be no-big-deal to someone else. If a kid is screaming in front of one
house, may not even be a known issue to a household on the other end of the
building.

At my place, the process for a topic to be processed and finally approved takes
really a long time. In fact, it takes so long that circumstances change
tremendously in between idea to approval - people move, new people arrive, two
people work out the problem. The vast majority of 'things' will resolve
themselves.

Thx,
Alan O