Re: Dogs and common facilities
From: Doug Huston (hustonashlandcoho.com)
Date: Thu, 3 Oct 2019 07:26:06 -0700 (PDT)
Hi,
No dogs (or cats) in our common house EVER. Allergies eclipse companionship and
emotional support (says the clinical social worker).
The reality of living in community does include these occasionally mutually
exclusive choices. It is great when they don’t become deal breakers for people.
I don’t even know if we have have any members with severe dog allergies. We did
have lots of dogs (I was one of the dog owners) upon move-in and none
currently. Could there only be some (non-shedding) breeds in the common house?
I don’t know if that works for people with bad dog allergies. I wouldn’t want
to just make that policy for the existing members if it would result in a guest
to the common house having some terrible reaction.
Earning privileges is interesting, if allergies was not an overriding issue.
Sort of like an offsite members that earns their more inclusive privileges
after some kind of vetting by members based upon affinity, obedient, nice to
pet, doesn’t bark too much, etc.
I too have had Liz’s experience of members interpreting “under voice control”
far too liberally, compared to what I think was the intention of the policy.

- Doug Ashland (Oregon) Cohousing Community