Re: Dogs and common facilities
From: Sharon Villines (sharonsharonvillines.com)
Date: Thu, 3 Oct 2019 10:17:03 -0700 (PDT)
> On Oct 3, 2019, at 12:27 PM, Elizabeth Magill <pastorlizm [at] gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
> I'll say that the difference for *me* between service dogs and other dogs is
> this— With a service dog we are comparing too different accessibilty
> issues—my allergies vs another person's ability to be guided I'm willing to
> accept that I'll be limited in my use so that another person can have access.
> For a pet, I'm not so inclined to let a person's love of their pet outweigh
> my physical needs.

I've learned from service dog owners that there are real differences between
service dogs and other dogs. Service dogs are constrained in their actions. As
long as they have on their service halter/vest they are “working”. They stay at
the feet of their owner and are not welcoming of attention from others. One
friend had a small dog that warned her when she was about to have a seizure.
The dog literally slept on her feet in public — under the table when they were
in a restaurant. There is no jumping around or chasing unless their halter/vest
is taken off. Then they are just dogs.

Service dogs also do more than guide — they keep their owners safe in many
ways. It’s about more than convenience or privilege or affection.

Sharon
----
Sharon Villines, Historic Takoma Park
In Washington DC, Where all roads lead to Casablanca