Re: Load balancing: we're all in this together . . .
From: Ann Zabaldo (zabaldoearthlink.net)
Date: Wed, 9 Oct 2019 13:48:50 -0700 (PDT)
Hey Dick!

Through Mid Atlantic Cohousing in our region, we already do this informally  in
two ways:  communities announce openings by posting to each other’s
notification or waiting list.  And we have a regional Meet Up that each
community can post to w/ about 1400 members (for perspective … Raines Cohen has
a list for East Bay in CA w/ 6000 or more members … ) .

The problem w/ these methods is that there are duplicates in the various lists
—  maybe even many duplicates from list to list.  People sign up for everything.

Wish we could have a single clean list.  We could use a mail house but that
would mean some funding support.

Once a long time ago, Katie McCamant used to collect names for a central
database.  As I remember, the database was turned over to what was then the
national organization “The Cohousing Network" (a very early iteration).
Communities could buy segments of the database for their own marketing and
outreach purposes.  TVC bought several zip codes when we were in development.
The problem was … lists have to be cleaned to root out duplicates and dead
addresses.  Anyway I don’t know what happened to that database.

Be great if we could figure out a way that people could enter names into a
database, pull zip codes or other selection criteria on their own and clean up
entries as they are found.

Best --

Ann Zabaldo
Takoma Village Cohousing
Washington, DC
Member, Board of Directors
Mid Atlantic Cohousing
Principal, Cohousing Collaborative, LLC
Falls Church, VA
202.546.4654

"Handle every situation like a dog.
If you can’t eat it or play with it,
Just pee on it and walk away.” –Author Unknown