Re: California Cohousers ...
From: Kathryn McCamant (kmccamantcohousing-solutions.com)
Date: Tue, 15 Oct 2019 16:42:57 -0700 (PDT)
No fires up here in the Sierra Foothills, and no earthquakes.

But the power outage was a total pain for a small business like mine that works
nationally. For rural California, like Nevada City and much of rural America,
can grow our economies with the internet. But when the internet goes down for
days, without a blizzard in sight, well  . . . it's hard to sustain and grow
our rural economies. As an example, in my county we have a small and growing
tech industry with a great quality of life. But power outages make it very hard
to grow this industry outside of big cities, which while there were some power
outages, but much less so.  No doubt, this experience will further spur more
people looking to solar, backed up by batteries rather that relying on tying
into the grid like we do in Nevada City Cohousing.

But don't be waiting for California's to bale on our beautiful state. We're use
to these natural disasters just as people in other parts of the country are use
to floods, tornadoes, and hurricanes.

Katie
--
Kathryn McCamant, President
CoHousing Solutions

On 10/15/19, 2:51 PM, "Cohousing-L on behalf of fergyb2 via Cohousing-L"
<cohousing-l-bounces+kmccamant=cohousing-solutions.com [at] cohousing.org on
behalf of cohousing-l [at] cohousing.org> wrote:

    The recent earthquake near Pleasant Hill was a small one—felt but no
damage.  The power outage was more problematic for those areas affected by it.
Not well thought out.  Berkeley researcher losing 2 years of work; disabled
folk discovering that the local “relief station” set up by PG&E wasn’t
wheelchair accessible, that sort of thing.  But basically we are all OK, at
least in Northern California and the Disability Community has been energized
and organized to respond vigorously at the PUC meeting upcoming.
            Bonnie Fergusson
    Swans Market Cohousing
       Oakland, CA

    Sent from my iPad

    > On Oct 15, 2019, at 8:17 AM, Ann Zabaldo <zabaldo [at] earthlink.net>
wrote:

    > .. how are you doing?
    >
    > Fires, drought, Rolling blackouts, and now an earthquake in and around
Pleasant Hill.

    > I’m wondering how folks living in California are?
    >
    > Inquiring minds and at least this Cohouser want to know ...
    >
    > Ann Zabaldo
    > Takoma Village Cohousing
    > Washington DC
    >
    > Dictating this via Siri who has finally figured out how to separate
Takomavillage into two words. Oh well spoke too soon…