Re: storage of important files
From: Henning Mortensen (hmortensengmail.com)
Date: Fri, 18 Oct 2019 10:55:56 -0700 (PDT)
At our community, we are using Box.com for our files. They make it simple
to sync with a computer which can then be used to back up the files. In our
case, we back the files directly to our NAS (network-attached storage)
which serves as both a backup and ensures the files get backed up with our
NAS backup.

I am currently ruminating about moving our files to NextCloud/OwnCloud.
What got me started on this was when I thought about the insecurity of file
links. Our community makes extensive use of links to documents (in minutes,
emails, wiki, etc) and the potential exists for someone emailing a link to
a friend who then forwards it to a mailing list, or other unintended
audience. That would expose the file to those on the mailing list. If the
file contained further links those files would be compromised as well. This
could lead to a full data breach. NextCloud allows for password-protected
links, time limited links, and one-time-use links all of which mitigate
against this kind of breach. They also have file versioning which can be
important when documents are to be trusted as the one true
agreement/policy.

NextCloud runs on a Linux server and requires a fair bit of work to get
running. This is not for those without technical help.

I would like to organize a group of computer volunteers to set up services
like this for communities who don't have the technical expertise, and
mitigate the risk of loss of your tech guru.  If you are your community's
tech guru, I would like to talk to you.

Henning Mortensen
my email address is my first initial then last name @gmail.com