Communities that handle property buys and sells
From: Thomas Lofft (tloffthotmail.com)
Date: Wed, 23 Oct 2019 20:47:43 -0700 (PDT)
Katie McCamant wrote:

 Home sales are regulated differently in every state. Some require an attorney,
or closing attorney, and others don't.  In my community, Nevada City Cohousing
in Nor Cal, we have seen homes sales in a variety of formats, but never with
the community in the middle. I just closed on a new home in my community
without either a real estate agent or an attorney. It was a sale between two
original members, so we worked out a contract and took it over to the title
company for the closing...all went very smoothly even as we worked thru a rent
back.

We have also found a couple of local relators that will facilitate the contract
and closing for a reduced fee of 1/2 - 1 % (instead of the typical 6% split
between the seller and buyer agents), but that is only if seller and buyer have
already fully agreed on price and terms and are ready to go into contract, with
no complications.

And then I have neighbors that decided it was worthwhile to have their own
realtor representing their interest, with the buyer having their own realtor
like a more tradition sale.

If you talk with realtors and loan brokers that have worked with cohousers,
they generally say we are pain-in-the-butt clients: asking tons of questions,
wanting to look at every possible option in detail, and then expecting
discounts on standard fees. Buyers have often complained that trying to work
with a cohousing seller without a realtor nearly killed the deal (and who knows
how many it did kill).

 Katie
--
Kathryn McCamant, President
CoHousing Solutions

Katie et al.: Although you may not realize it, if you had a title company
handle your settlement, I believe that invariably there was an attorney at the
helm. I have practiced real estate in several states and every title company
was typically owned and managed by an attorney. The title company typically
reviews and interprets the contract, prepares the settlement calculations for
the lender and tax authorities and also issues your title insurance policy to
insure against title defects and assures that your deed and mortgage agreements
are filed in proper order to assure continuity of title and security for your
lender.

Tom Lofft
Liberty Village, MD