reminder: Call for Articles, Communities #186: Picking up the Pieces: New Beginnings
From: Chris Roth - Communities Editor (editoric.org)
Date: Sat, 2 Nov 2019 22:08:11 -0700 (PDT)
Hello /Communities/ authors and potential authors,** **

We are continuing to work toward a transition to a new publisher, and hope to have news on that to report relatively soon (in time to accept subscription orders again this calendar year, as well as donations to make our relaunch possible). Meanwhile, this is a reminder that we're still seeking articles for /Communities/ #186, *Picking Up the Pieces: New Beginnings* (Spring 2020). Please send your article proposals to editor [at] ic.org by November 15, 2019; the tentative article submission deadline is December 31, 2019, although the uncertainty of our publishing schedule means that this deadline may be extended.

In the same way that The Shadow Side of Cooperation (#184) proved to be a natural thematic follow-up to issue #183 (Sexual Politics) and took some of that first issue's discussions further, *Picking Up the Pieces: New Beginnings* will follow up on the theme of #185 (Passing the Torch: Generational Shifts in Community), highlighting cases where groups experience not so much a generational shift as a total or near-total collapse/disintegration and then rebirth--as well as cases in which individuals go through a similar process in relation to a community experience. The /Communities/ staff have lived through two whole-community collapses/rebirths personally, witnessed several others, and experienced similar personal transitions. We believe stories of this, both in intentional community and in other cooperative groups, are legion. Some questions to explore:

 * What emerges from the ashes, when attempts to make more subtle
   shifts to avoid total meltdown/conflagration in a group fail, or
   when a deliberate decision to reconfigure is made?
 * How much is lost when a group melts down? Can it be recovered?
 * Do patterns persist between a previous incarnation of a group and
   its new incarnation, or does the collapse/rebirth serve as a "total
   reset"?
 * What factors lead to total disintegration rather than more graceful
   transition/change?
 * What strategies, attitudes, and actions can help make transitions
   less traumatic or dramatic, with less collateral damage?
 * What approaches, insights, and wisdom can help us "pick up the
   pieces" in our groups, or individually, most effectively?
 * What is your personal experience "picking up the pieces" when a
   disintegrated group doesn't, in fact, re-form, or when a group's
   collapse (or the collapse of your image of that group) sends you in
   a different direction?
 * What happens when a natural disaster or other external force leads
   to the meltdown of a community? Is the process similar to an
   internally-precipitated disintegration?
 * What insights have you gained from experiencing or observing your
   own or others' "failed" (or faded) dreams, utopian experiments
   turned dystopian, inspiration turned into disillusionment?
 * Where have you found the strength or motivation, either collectively
   or individually, to "pick up the pieces" and start anew?

As always, we are looking for stories, personal experiences, and concrete examples in your responses--these are what will make ideas and observations most "real" and relevant to readers. Suggested submission length is 600-2500 words, although we sometimes stretch these limits. Please submit an article proposal to editor [at] ic.org before submitting a finished article.

Here are some reminders from our standard submissions guidelines:

   We are also seeking articles about:

     *

       Creating community in your neighborhood;

     *

       Starting a new community;

     *

       Process and communication issues in community;

     * Ecological sustainability in community;
     *

       Social justice issues in community; and

     *

       Seeking community to join.

   We invite submissions ranging from short vignettes to
   extensively-developed articles, and also invite suggestions of
   recommended resources and article leads. We're seeking articles
   written in a reader-friendly, popular-magazine style, rather than in
   an academic style. We ask contributors to share stories and
   experiences, not just ideas; write about challenges, not just
   successes; and describe specific situations that will help your
   story come alive for the reader. Before you start writing, pleaselet
   us know your article idea so that we can give feedback on how it may
   fit into /Communities/.Contact Chris Roth at editor [at] ic.org
   <mailto:editor [at] ic.org>.

   If you don’t want to write an article but want to submit photos,
   please contact Yulia Zarubina at layout [at] ic.org
   <mailto:layout [at] ic.org> for our Photo Guidelines.

   *I. What "Submitting an Article"**Means.*We will promise to read
   your article, but we may respectfully decline it and not publish it,
   or save it and publish it in a future issue. We also reserve the
   right to edit, shorten, or revise your article. Most of the time we
   contact authors about this ahead of time and get their comments,
   corrections, etc.

   *II. Getting Permission Ahead of Time.*Please send the article only
   when you have permission from anyone you need it from, such as
   fellow community members. We endeavor to present a diversity of
   views on community, including controversial or critical views, in a
   respectful and cooperative manner. If your article may generate
   controversy or strong reactions, or if the group(s) would want the
   chance to review it, please share your draft with group members to
   get their input before sending it to us. (Please see our Writers'
   Guidelines, available upon request, for additional details.)

   *III. Publication Rights.*Once your article appears in
   /Communities/, we own first North American Publishing Rights. This
   means your article appears in /Communities/the first time it appears
   in North America. In addition to appearing in /Communities/, your
   article may also appear on our website or in future compilations.
   You retain all other rights to it. If you'd like to use it
   elsewhere, you can, and we would appreciate your using an
   attribution line (please contact us for details).

   *IV. Photos.*If we publish your article, we want to accompany it
   with compelling images that illustrate your subject. You know your
   subject best, so we are appealing to you for images. If others in
   your community or group like taking pictures, they might already
   have great images to go with your article. If you would like to
   submit an article but cannot supply photos, that's fine; however,
   please give us plenty of advance notice so that if we use your
   article we can get an illustrator. Please email us for our full
   Photo Guidelines. We also appreciate an author photo to accompany
   your short (several-line) author bio.

Hope to hear from you!

Thank you,

Chris