Re: Dining room tables
From: Ann Zabaldo (zabaldoearthlink.net)
Date: Tue, 19 Nov 2019 08:38:33 -0800 (PST)
Hi all —

After Sharon Villines and I looked at a zillion tables one year I concluded,
and I believe Sharon did, too is that this “ideal” table would have to be
custom made for all the reasons Karen cites below.

However I want to weigh in here w/ a different observation.  My experience w/
round tables is that they certainly save space in a room.  They look nice.  But
the conversation is limited to people on either side of you.  It’s hard to talk
across the table.  Ditto w/ looooooong rectangular tables.  One person posting
in this thread mentioned multiple conversations at a long rectangular table.
Not necessarily bad but it can also leave a person out of the conversation if
no one is sitting beside them.

Churck Durrett once posted to this list the ideal size and shape of a dining
room table for cohousing.  I attempted to find that message in the archives.
Did not find it.

So Chuck … can you post that information once more?

Inquiring minds want to know ...

Best --

Ann Zabaldo
Takoma Village Cohousing
Washington, DC
Member, Board of Directors
Mid Atlantic Cohousing
Principal, Cohousing Collaborative, LLC
Falls Church, VA
202.546.4654

"Handle every situation like a dog.
If you can’t eat it or play with it,
Just pee on it and walk away.” –Author Unknown