update re: exciting news from Communities, and pledge request
From: Chris Roth - Communities Editor (editoric.org)
Date: Sat, 7 Dec 2019 07:50:26 -0800 (PST)
Dear /Communities/ authors and friends,

We're happy to report that just four days after our email announcing it widely, the fundraising drive to secure /Communities/' transfer to a new publisher has now brought in *$15,940* in donation pledges, from 47 different individuals and groups, ranging in amount from $20 to $1000 or more. This leaves about *$7K* in total pledges still needed to reach our minimum goal of $23K (which will allow us to relaunch with GEN-US), or *$12K* to *$14K* to reach our "stretch goal" of $28K to $30K (which would allow us to pursue our optimal business plan, sending out more sample copies to stimulate subscriptions and resubscriptions among likely readers, accelerating website and subscription system upgrades, etc.).

If we reach the $23K mark in the *next two days*, our transfer agreement criteria will then be met and we can proceed uninterrupted with production of issue #185 ("Passing the Torch") and send it out before the end of the year. If we reach the $28K to $30K goal soon as well, this will allow a larger issue mailout and put us in a great position to start 2020.

We appreciate everyone who has pledged so far, as well as all your messages of support, and are looking forward to being able to announce soon that /Communities/ is officially relaunched--thanks, hopefully, to additional pledges we'll receive this weekend.

Again, every pledge makes a difference, no matter its size. Once we meet our goal, we'll let you know how to send in those pledges as tax-deductible donations to GEN-US to support /Communities/. And unless you request otherwise, we'll list your name (without pledge amount) in a thank-you note in issue #185, and make sure you get a copy of that issue as well.

Thank you again for your parts in this collective effort to keep the 47-year-old institution that is /Communities/ alive, thriving, and ever-evolving!

Chris