Re: Presenters and Volunteers needed for Online Affordable Conference
From: Lynne MARKELL (lmarkellrogers.com)
Date: Mon, 9 Dec 2019 11:26:03 -0800 (PST)
So glad you are doing this. I live in Ottawa and we have been unable to find
any government programs to reduce the costs of cohousing so far.  A few
municipalities in Canada have helped by waiving local development fees or
leasing/ donating land.
The big need here is affordable rental housing and so there are few provincial
or federal programs to help homeowners.
Our cohousing project is for older adults and seniors and there are lots of
requests for rental units. However as a new cohousing group, we do not have the
means or reputation to borrow money to create even a few rental units.  The
required down payment would have to come from our members who are already
concerned about the costs involved in cohousing.

If you are looking for presenters, consider someone from the Cambridge
Cohousing as they have three separate "owners" of some of their units in order
to provide housing for special groups. I thought it was ingenious as these
non-profit organizations buy the units and then manage the rentals. Apparently
it works out well.  I do think partnerships are a big answer to the affordable
cohousing problem.
We have been through a lot over three years to creat our community and I have
learned that developing cohousing in a big city as opposed to a small town is
quite different. The context is important. Town councils, local media, service
clubs, business groups, and churches in a small town are more supportive of a
housing project that will help their local citizens. They may know the founders
and certainly will know them more if they network and get stories written about
them in the local media. This is my experience involved in community economic
development, social enterprise, and co-operative development. Rural areas and
small towns understand community more than big cities.
SO solutions may have to be divided into different community contexts. I am
sure that cohousing developers have noticed a difference as well.
Lynne
President and co-founder,
Convivium Cohousing Co-operative

Lynne Markell,