Re: Role of facilitators at plenary meetings
From: Sharon Villines (sharonsharonvillines.com)
Date: Tue, 17 Dec 2019 13:29:58 -0800 (PST)
> On Dec 17, 2019, at 11:38 AM, Catya Belfer <catya [at] pobox.com> wrote:
>
> We have a ground rule that says "When in doubt, the facilitator decides”.

In sociocracy, facilitators lead policy decision-making meeting (circle
meetings). The facilitator decides with the consent of those present—no
objections are raised.

In an operations event, like painting all the trim on the outside of the common
house, the operations leader makes the decisions within established policies.
If there is no applicable policy, the leader makes the decision and it is
discussed at the next policy meeting. Work goes forward — is not hindered by
lack of a policy.

I think the question of what goes in the Bylaws is really the issue. Do you
only include those things that can be proven right or wrong? Should
consequences be necessary and enforceable?

Perhaps it brings up “What is a facilitator?"
Sharon
----
Sharon Villines, Historic Takoma Park, Washington DC
Where all roads lead to Casablanca