Re: Affordable Housing vs Low Income Households
From: rphilipdowds (rphilipdowdsme.com)
Date: Mon, 30 Dec 2019 08:58:46 -0800 (PST)
Coho Friends —

I will say again:  We do NOT have an “affordable housing” problem.  What we
have is a serious income inequality problem.  Trying to create affordable
housing by cheapening the product — and cheapening it within the paradigm of
the stand-alone single family dwelling — simply leads us further into the dead
ends of the unsatisfactory (“mobile” homes) and the absurd (tiny houses).  If
we combined more multi-family zoning with the progressive tax structure that
served America so well in the ’50’s and ’60’s, the affordable housing problem
would pretty much solve itself.

But that still leaves climate change on the table ...

Thanks,
Philip Dowds
Cornerstone Cohousing
Cambridge, MA