Re: Affordable Housing vs Low Income Households
From: Sharon Villines (sharonsharonvillines.com)
Date: Mon, 30 Dec 2019 09:26:18 -0800 (PST)
> On Dec 30, 2019, at 11:58 AM, R Philip Dowds alt addr via Cohousing-L
> <cohousing-l [at] cohousing.org> wrote:

> I will say again:  We do NOT have an “affordable housing” problem.  What we
> have is a serious income inequality problem.  Trying to create affordable
> housing by cheapening the product — and cheapening it within the paradigm of
> the stand-alone single family dwelling — simply leads us further into the
> dead ends of the unsatisfactory (“mobile” homes) and the absurd (tiny
> houses).  If we combined more multi-family zoning with the progressive tax
> structure that served America so well in the ’50’s and ’60’s, the affordable
> housing problem would pretty much solve itself.

Very good point, Philip. And nicely said.

How would those who are trying to develop or find a place in cohousing use this
understanding? For the cohousing movement, for the Association, it’s a good
long term focus. Maybe even a good argument to be used on zoning boards? But
what to do about the meeting with the bank next month?

Sharon
----
Sharon Villines
Takoma Village Cohousing, Washington DC