Re: Affordable Housing vs Low Income Households
From: Kathryn McCamant (kmccamantcohousing-solutions.com)
Date: Mon, 30 Dec 2019 10:25:34 -0800 (PST)
> On Dec 30, 2019, at 11:58 AM, R Philip Dowds alt addr via Cohousing-L
> <cohousing-l [at] cohousing.org> wrote:

> I will say again:  We do NOT have an “affordable housing” problem.  What we
> have is a serious income inequality problem.  Trying to create affordable
> housing by cheapening the product — and cheapening it within the paradigm of
> the stand-alone single family dwelling — simply leads us further into the
> dead ends of the unsatisfactory (“mobile” homes) and the absurd (tiny
> houses).  If we combined more multi-family zoning with the progressive tax
> structure that served America so well in the ’50’s and ’60’s, the affordable
> housing problem would pretty much solve itself."

I tend to agree with the above statement. As one who has done more cohousing
development budgets than just about anyone, it drives me crazy what it cost for
new construction today. And yet, on these cohousing projects no one is making
big profits and most of the professionals could easily make more money doing
other kinds of projects. Yes, people can adjust their expectations for how much
space they need, but there is a limit on how much people will be willing to do
that.

Katie
--
Kathryn McCamant, President
CoHousing Solutions

241B Commercial Street

Nevada City, CA 95959

T.530.478.1970  C.916.798.4755

www.cohousing-solutions.com

On 12/30/19, 9:26 AM, "Cohousing-L on behalf of Sharon Villines via
Cohousing-L" <cohousing-l-bounces+kmccamant=cohousing-solutions.com [at]
cohousing.org on behalf of cohousing-l [at] cohousing.org> wrote:

    > On Dec 30, 2019, at 11:58 AM, R Philip Dowds alt addr via Cohousing-L
<cohousing-l [at] cohousing.org> wrote:

    > I will say again:  We do NOT have an “affordable housing” problem.  What
we have is a serious income inequality problem.  Trying to create affordable
housing by cheapening the product — and cheapening it within the paradigm of
the stand-alone single family dwelling — simply leads us further into the dead
ends of the unsatisfactory (“mobile” homes) and the absurd (tiny houses).  If
we combined more multi-family zoning with the progressive tax structure that
served America so well in the ’50’s and ’60’s, the affordable housing problem
would pretty much solve itself.

    Very good point, Philip. And nicely said.

    How would those who are trying to develop or find a place in cohousing use
this understanding? For the cohousing movement, for the Association, it’s a
good long term focus. Maybe even a good argument to be used on zoning boards?
But what to do about the meeting with the bank next month?

    Sharon
    ----
    Sharon Villines
    Takoma Village Cohousing, Washington DC