Re: Affordable Housing vs Low Income Households
From: Kathryn McCamant (kmccamantcohousing-solutions.com)
Date: Mon, 30 Dec 2019 12:04:43 -0800 (PST)
Very very few existing cohousing communities have gotten any government
subsidies. Government subsidies tend to come with a lot of restrictions, and we
currently have very few subsidies for affordable housing in the US. Canada may
be better.

IMHO opinion, the easiest way to incorporate rentals into communities is to
have some of your members and supporters with resources purchase several homes
as long term rentals, with full community support. That said, it is important
to understand that even that option will likely bring in a lower return as an
investment than just buying an existing home down the road as a rental (no HOA
dues, and no one to bother you about what you should or should not be doing as
a landlord). Thus, for this to happen, the community really needs to support
the investors willing to do it for the good of diversifying the economics of
your community.

If you are seeking government subsidies, I would recommend that you find a
local affordable housing developer that understands current programs and where
the money might be found. Then design your project around the requirements for
those sources of funds. Trying to find your way thru the government subsidy
maze the first time would defeat most people.

Katie
--
Kathryn McCamant, President
CoHousing Solutions

241B Commercial Street

Nevada City, CA 95959

T.530.478.1970  C.916.798.4755

www.cohousing-solutions.com

On 12/30/19, 11:24 AM, "Cohousing-L on behalf of Lynne MARKELL"
<cohousing-l-bounces+kmccamant=cohousing-solutions.com [at] cohousing.org on
behalf of lmarkell [at] rogers.com> wrote:

    Kathryn, good to get your take on this.
    Do you have any suggestions for how to make cohousing more affordable or
how to offer some more affordable options such as rentals?

    It seems that some projects are able to have get some government subsidies
for a few units. I would recommend that these geographically specific programs
be better documented so they can be shared with other jurisdictions.  If I had
more details I could advocate for similar programs in Canada.

    Having worked in government relations, I found that bureaucrats and
politicians were more willing to consider new programs if they had been
successful elsewhere. Then the bureaucrats can question the people who
admistered the specific programs. The more specific the  "ask", the better
chance of success.
    I think the affordability conference should include a session on government
subsidy programmes
    Lynne

    Lynne Markell,
    Lmarkell [at] rogers.com
    (613) 842-5222

<cohousing-l [at] cohousing.org> wrote:

    >> I will say again:  We do NOT have an “affordable housing” problem.  What
we have is a serious income inequality problem.  Trying to create affordable
housing by cheapening the product — and cheapening it within the paradigm of
the stand-alone single family dwelling — simply leads us further into the dead
ends of the unsatisfactory (“mobile” homes) and the absurd (tiny houses).  If
we combined more multi-family zoning with the progressive tax structure that
served America so well in the ’50’s and ’60’s, the affordable housing problem
would pretty much solve itself."

    > I tend to agree with the above statement. As one who has done more
cohousing development budgets than just about anyone, it drives me crazy what
it cost for new construction today. And yet, on these cohousing projects no one
is making big profits and most of the professionals could easily make more
money doing other kinds of projects. Yes, people can adjust their expectations
for how much space they need, but there is a limit on how much people will be
willing to do that.

    > Katie
    > --
    > Kathryn McCamant, President
    > CoHousing Solutions
    >
    > 241B Commercial Street
    >
    > Nevada City, CA 95959
    >
    > T.530.478.1970  C.916.798.4755
    >
    > www.cohousing-solutions.com
    >

    > On 12/30/19, 9:26 AM, "Cohousing-L on behalf of Sharon Villines via
Cohousing-L" <cohousing-l-bounces+kmccamant=cohousing-solutions.com [at]
cohousing.org on behalf of cohousing-l [at] cohousing.org> wrote:

    >>> On Dec 30, 2019, at 11:58 AM, R Philip Dowds alt addr via Cohousing-L
<cohousing-l [at] cohousing.org> wrote:

    >> I will say again:  We do NOT have an “affordable housing” problem.  What
we have is a serious income inequality problem.  Trying to create affordable
housing by cheapening the product — and cheapening it within the paradigm of
the stand-alone single family dwelling — simply leads us further into the dead
ends of the unsatisfactory (“mobile” homes) and the absurd (tiny houses).  If
we combined more multi-family zoning with the progressive tax structure that
served America so well in the ’50’s and ’60’s, the affordable housing problem
would pretty much solve itself.

    >    Very good point, Philip. And nicely said.
    >
    >    How would those who are trying to develop or find a place in cohousing
use this understanding? For the cohousing movement, for the Association, it’s a
good long term focus. Maybe even a good argument to be used on zoning boards?
But what to do about the meeting with the bank next month?