affordable housing
From: Sara Wye (sarap66verizon.net)
Date: Tue, 31 Dec 2019 06:32:01 -0800 (PST)
as someone looking for housing under 100,000 i don't find this very helpful:

> I will say again:  We do NOT have an ?affordable housing? problem.  What we
> have is a serious income inequality problem.  Trying to create affordable
> housing by cheapening the product ? and cheapening it within the paradigm of
> the stand-alone single family dwelling ? simply leads us further into the
> dead ends of the unsatisfactory (?mobile? homes) and the absurd (tiny
> houses).  If we combined more multi-family zoning with the progressive tax
> structure that served America so well in the ?50?s and ?60?s, the affordable
> housing problem would pretty much solve itself."
the income inequality problem is a lot longer term issue than the immediate
need for community that is affordable.  i don't find tiny houses or mobile
homes absurd at all.  i would not consider these 'cheapening the product'.  i
have seen beautiful mobile homes and would consider living in one if they would
allow me to continue working in my home.  i am a 75 year old mental health
counselor. and as someone who has been looking for affordably community for
many years, these remarks feel like snobbery to me.   i saw not too long ago a
group of small if not tiny homes built by a group of friends, a cluster of 8-10
homes, so they could form their own community.  i admit i am not educated about
the cost of buying land and building but if they can do it, it can be done.