Re: affordable housing
From: rphilipdowds (rphilipdowdsme.com)
Date: Tue, 31 Dec 2019 06:51:08 -0800 (PST)
Fair enough:  In an ideal imaginary America, we would not have such extremes of
inequality of wealth and income.  We would instead be using progressive
taxation to sustain a robust public sector where a trip to the hospital or a
college education does not push so many of us to the brink of insolvency (never
mind trying to figure out how to pay for a house or a car).

But this is not the America we live in, and to deal with the challenges of
today, right now, we usually end up juggling sub-optimal “solutions”.  In our
less-than-ideal America, cohousing communities and developers do have a few
tools for making cohousing more available to lower-income households.  These
include incorporating a diversity of unit types, including rentals;
collaboration with (very modest) federal and state subsidy programs; transfer
payments internal to the project/community; and specialized design and
construction alternatives like modular homes, tiny houses, congregate suites,
and sweat equity applied to semi-finished units.
      I would never argue against any of these options for mitigating the
consequences of extreme inequality.  We all do the best we can in the moment in
which we live.  Just keep in mind that you’re treating the symptoms, not the
causes, of the disease.

Not sure I want to be classified as a snob.

Thanks,
Philip Dowds
Cornerstone Cohousing
Cambridge, MA