Re: affordable housing
From: Lynne MARKELL (lmarkellrogers.com)
Date: Tue, 31 Dec 2019 09:34:24 -0800 (PST)
Thanks Philip for your perspective.
You have mentioned another alternative that has not come up in this discussion
- congregate  suites.
I think the idea of a group of people collectively owning a suite/apartment/
house provides a way to reduce the cost for each person. Each owner would have
their own bedroom and bathroom, and share the kitchen, living room, laundry,
etc. They would have their own legal arrangement re ownership and the cohousing
group would treat them like regular members. It is really
"co-living" within cohousing!

It would work well for singles, family members, or any other combination.
The cohousing group would design it the unit, based on the interest of their
members (perhaps only one per project) and sell it as a unit.
We considered this for our project and there was some interest. We did not get
to the design stage at that time, but were prepared to do a conceptual design,
so we could then offer it to people who wanted a cheaper way to live in
cohousing.
In Canada, there is a lot of interest in the Golden Girls housing - 3-5 women
sharing a house. This would be the same and marketable within the cohousing
concept of community, common house, etc.
Does anyone know if a group has done this yet?

Lynne Markell,
Lmarkell [at] rogers.com
(613) 842-5222