Re: affordable housing
From: Sharon Villines (sharonsharonvillines.com)
Date: Tue, 31 Dec 2019 10:16:23 -0800 (PST)
> On Dec 31, 2019, at 12:34 PM, Lynne MARKELL <lmarkell [at] rogers.com> wrote:
>
> Thanks Philip for your perspective.
> You have mentioned another alternative that has not come up in this
> discussion - congregate  suites.
> I think the idea of a group of people collectively owning a suite/apartment/
> house provides a way to reduce the cost for each person. Each owner would
> have their own bedroom and bathroom, and share the kitchen, living room,
> laundry, etc. They would have their own legal arrangement re ownership and
> the cohousing group would treat them like regular members. It is really
> "co-living" within cohousing!

There is a discussion of this, probably several, in the archives. The problem
is managing the moving in and out and any problems between the owners. It
increases the complexity for the community. You can’t kick out your roommates
and possibly not have a lot of control over who they are.

> In Canada, there is a lot of interest in the Golden Girls housing - 3-5 women
> sharing a house. This would be the same and marketable within the cohousing
> concept of community, common house, etc.
> Does anyone know if a group has done this yet?

I don’t remember names but people did report having units that unrelated people
share.

In Loudoun County Ecco Village several (at least) houses have basement rec
rooms with kitchens so they can be rented as an apt. I think another community
was building or seeking zoning approval for houses to add elder cottages in the
back.

Sharon
----
Sharon Villines, Historic Takoma Park, Washington DC
Where all roads lead to Casablanca