Re: affordable housing
From: Ann Zabaldo (zabaldoearthlink.net)
Date: Tue, 31 Dec 2019 07:32:54 -0800 (PST)
Hello Sara — I hear you.  WE hear you.  We who have been working in cohousing
for a while have been dealing w/ affordability - -  for a long while.

Manufactured housing- a,k.a. mobile homes —  is most certainly an answer to the
high cost of housing in some areas of the country.  The issue for urban areas
is Ta Da!  Zoning.  Most urban areas will not allow “trailers” in residential
areas.  The stranglehold of single family residential housing seriously reduces
more affordable multi-family housing even if the housing is conventionally
stick-built.  I can hear the collective call of property owners:  that level of
density, whatever it is,  will bring down property values!  Traffic will
increase!   Homes that sell for less than the prevailing prices in a
neighborhood are perceived as reducing property values.

But if people are willing to live outside a city in more rural areas then you
might be able to create a multi unit community using manufactured housing.
EXCEPT … around here in the DC area once you get out of the urban areas you run
into “greenbelt” zoning — that is, in order to keep the rural areas rural the
zoning is established at 1 house per 5 acres.  For just 5 houses you would need
25 acres.  Plus you’d also need zoning that would allow clustering in order to
create cohousing.  Farther out in rural Virginia the zoning is 1 house per 50
acres.  So going farther out may not be the solution.

What you are hearing from Philip’s email may be frustration at trying to create
housing to fit zoning, income and tax structure instead of these structures —
zoning, income and tax rules serving people and the housing “shortage” for
moderate income households.  Or more simply:  trying to fit the square peg of
affordable housing into the round hole of zoning, income and tax regulations.
I’m making suppositions. Philip can answer for himself.

Arlington and/or Alexandria, VA, suburbs of Washington, DC, this year passed
regulations allowing homeowners on certain size lots w/ other included strict
criteria to build a “granny flat” or Accessory Dwelling Unit (ADU) in the back
of their premises.  The ADUs are one response to the lack of available housing
in those suburban cities.  The wailing that went on by homeowners predicting
the negative impact on property values could be heard where I live which is as
far north of those cities as you can get and still live in DC — approximately 7
miles away. I predict those ADUs will actually INCREASE property values making
the affordability crisis in those cities even worse.  Why?  Because what
homeowners would not like a steady income stream of more than $1,000 per month
that requires so little effort?

BTW - there are exceptions to everything I wrote.  Tampa, FL has had a mobile
home park within its city limits for over 50 years.  It’s located in a less
desirable part of town in a very industrial area.  But it’s there!  In
Missouri, as I understand from folks at Dancing Rabbit ecovillage, there are no
building restrictions— at least in the rural areas.  That’s why the DR
ecovillage decided to build there.

Sara —  if you will allow me … the most important you can do if you are intent
on building affordable housing using manufacturde housing or Tiny Homes, is for
you to research where the city or county will allow you to build clustered
housing using those two options.  This research will give you clarity and more
importantly give you power to make decisions.

Let the list hear from you.  We are interested in what you find out.

BTW — where are you located?

Happy New Year!

Best --

Ann Zabaldo
Takoma Village Cohousing
Washington, DC
Member, Board of Directors
Mid Atlantic Cohousing
Principal, Cohousing Collaborative, LLC
Falls Church, VA
202.546.4654

“If the earth was flat, Cats would have pushed everything off it by now."