Re: affordable housing
From: rphilipdowds (rphilipdowdsme.com)
Date: Thu, 2 Jan 2020 05:37:05 -0800 (PST)
Lynne —  Thanks for sharing detail about congregate suites (and, for being
familiar with that particular design approach).  In my former assisted living
architectural practice, I had the opportunity to incorporate a congregate suite
or two into a building which was basically studios and small one bedrooms.  It
was a little bit of work for both residents and staff to sort out who could
live with whom — but once compatible “roommates” were established, the suite
was very popular (at least with those living in it).

A private bathroom for each bedroom is probably ideal, but two people in
different bedrooms sharing exclusive use of one bathroom can also work.  If you
reduce the number of kitchens and bathrooms per person, cost falls
dramatically; and if you generally reapportion the square footage correctly,
you end up with a shared “living/dining” room that’s actually large enough to
be useful.

I’m describing a dwelling design model used mostly college dormitories and care
facilities, but there’s no reason why it can’t work out for economical options
in cohousing as well.  Best of all, it’s probably code-legal in most
jurisdictions.  A four bedroom, four bathroom housing unit might attract some
interest and speculation during public plan review, but few jurisdictions are
willing to get involved in limiting dwelling unit size, or controlling
occupancy over time.  Selling it as a cooperative within a condominium facility
is beyond my legal skills, but it also could be a rental unit managed by the
community.

Sorry, don’t know of any cohousing that’s doing this — although I’m well aware
that some coho unit owners will choose, for either economic or social reasons,
to bring a long-term renter into their (over-sized) home.  Maybe others out
there have more detail to contribute.

Thanks,
Philip Dowds
Cornerstone Cohousing