Re: affordable housing
From: rphilipdowds (rphilipdowdsme.com)
Date: Wed, 1 Jan 2020 06:48:12 -0800 (PST)
Ann —

Thanks for your detailed reply.  Since it references me, I’ll offer some

I am an architect (off the clock) — and accordingly, might be viewed as a
professional with prejudices against "low class", "low life" design and
construction, like, maybe, “mobile" homes.  But: Not so.  Many designers
smarter than I have invested time and money in promoting hi-tech and assembly
line manufacturing techniques to dwelling unit construction.  One of the most
famous is, of course, Levittown (actually, a set of seven suburban
developments) — but even before Levittown, Sears was offering economy-oriented
home building kits in its catalogue.  Of the urbanized models, the early famous
one was Moshe Safdie’s Habitat 67 at the Montreal Expo.  And of course, there
are some examples of outstanding “mobile” home park designs that resemble
ordinary neighborhoods more than decrepit industrial tandem trailer parking
lots.

For a bunch of reasons I will not detail here, these various innovations have
not made it into the mainstream American development paradigm.  We can (and
perhaps should) continue to flog these approaches, hoping to get an affordable
result, but I am not optimistic.  Ann, you itemize some key factors that
militate against affordability: zoning, income, and tax policy.  I agree.  And,
you indicate some glimmers of hope that you think warrant greater appreciation.
 My response would be that ADUs will have traction in some low- and
moderate-density areas — but mostly because (as you point out), tax-paying,
property-owning voters may favor them, for their own financial benefit.  This
is no guarantee that ADUs will be contributing to the affordable housing
solution.  And, like in Tampa, we can indeed discover some inner-city trailer
parks.  Even so, activists in other cities and towns are not beating down the
doors to create “trailer park” zoning.

I will stick close to my original premise.  What’s thwarting affordable housing
is inequality of wealth and income.  Inequality is killing representational
democracy in America.  Inequality is killing us.  Our wounds are severe, and
our Band-aids are small.

Thanks,
Philip Dowds
Cornerstone Cohousing