Re: affordable housing
From: rphilipdowds (rphilipdowdsme.com)
Date: Fri, 3 Jan 2020 10:36:41 -0800 (PST)
I agree with Sharon that significant income disparities within a cohousing
community can create tension between those who can afford and want better, and
those who can barely afford the minimum.  But one of the points of cohousing is
that one can and does learn how to compromise constructively with neighbors of
very different means, political and religious beliefs, lifestyle preferences
and so on.  As one of my neighbors at Cornerstone puts it, “If you want
diversity, get ready for conflict.”  So, I’m quite yet ready to buy into a
vision of economically segregated cohousing as the optimum way of dealing with
household financial differences.

But I would like to broaden our perspective of sweat equity:  It’s not just
about heavy lifting and floating drywall compound.  Most cohousing developments
happen chiefly due to astonishingly high levels of sweat equity contributed
during the development process  — probably three years at the shortest; more
typically four or five years; and sometimes worse.  During that time, a
morphing and somewhat uncertain assembly of volunteers puts in many hours a
week  learning to do, and doing, jobs for which they’ve not been trained:
Hunting for land, fund-raising and budgeting, negotiating options and
purchases, architectural programming and design review, seeking permits,
marketing and membership drives, selecting and mobilizing contractors, and on
and on.

These, of course, are the customary tasks and activities of professional real
estate developers.  These tasks are expensive and risky — which is why
developers expect high monetary returns on their investments of time and cash.
Because the founders of cohousing are also, at least in part, the sweat equity
developers, one thing they have a shot at getting (in addition to a community
of friends) is housing maybe 5% to 15% lower in price than a comparable
property produced by for-profit developers.  (On the other hand … if the
founders are slow learners, and/or don’t get adequate professional assistance
at critical junctures, then the value of their substantial sweat equity can be
overwhelmed by general inefficiency.)

Overall, I am usually bowled over by the time investment the founding members
must commit, and are willing to commit, to invent their property and
instantiate their dream.  This is sweat equity of the highest order.

Thanks,
Philip Dowds
Cornerstone Cohousing
Cambridge, MA