Re: [C-L] affordable housing
From: Ron Ingram (ingramr88gmail.com)
Date: Sat, 4 Jan 2020 20:19:18 -0800 (PST)
{{{But if you rent you pay the same costs as rents rise. When you put an
effort into a home you own, and the neighborhood increases in value, your
property also increases in value. If you rent and don’t increase your
income at the same rate, you have to move. You lose your neighbors and your
sense of place.

Housing costs. The choice is whether you want to be building value or
building someone else's value.}}}}

I agree.

It frustrating when you are trapped in a cycle of generational poverty
where rent robs you of the time and energy that could have been spent
building your own wealth instead of someone else.

Each year I have had to move apartments due to rent increases. They usually
always offer a deal to hook you in then jack the rent up with nothing to
stop them.

On the other hand my parents are homwowners and I have watched my parents
struggle with the upkeep of our habitat for humanity home. Poverty is a
death trap. we had barely any money when we got the house so most of these
families don't hAve the money to do the upkeep of it. luckily skilled
electricians plumbers and roofers run in the family or are friends of my
dad. But this is an issue when I think about low income persons owning a
home. money or resources for the upkeep. But with the formation of a board,
much like the one for an intentional community I think collectively that
could be handled more efficiently.