Re: affordable housing [was: Cohousing-L Digest...
From: Fred-List manager (fholsoncohousing.org)
Date: Mon, 6 Jan 2020 07:00:59 -0800 (PST)
Ron Ingram <ingramr88 [at] gmail.com>

Ron's reply was to a digest that slipped by my screen for
excessive quoting. I deleted quoted digest and restored
subject line.  Fred

Does anyone think there will ever be universal rent equity. For example,
let's say I have a real estate portfolio with several apartment buildings
and homes that I rent to tenants, each rental payment they make goes toward
a certain percentage of profit share. So instead of just paying rent, you
are actually investing, helping the portfolio owner to buy more properies
to which you also financially profit. You can change and move apartments
within the portfolio to maintain your percentage of profit share or equity
share. I know these words are not interchangeable and I may not be using
them correctly. But hopefully someone gets the picture. When you exit the
portfolio altogether......still fleshing this out but assuming you can
transfer or sell your share or....if the portfolio also has homes, you
could use your equity in the portfolio rentals as the downpayment on a
mortgaged home.

This will help those who are cash strappped both afford current rent  and
build up the rental equity for a downpayment on a home. If this were a
thing, many people would gladly rent and help take care of their rentals
because they too are invested at a higher level.

Thought about this for awhile. If I added up all the rent, deposits, admin
fees etc I could have money for several downpayments on a nice home on my
budget, even at the low end of paying $500/mo for 10 years.

Ron